Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Reading Profile

 I've always loved reading. I remember my first grade teacher calling me a "star reader" and being so proud of that. As I was growing up, I would stay up really late at night reading and I didn't even have to be sneaky because my parents didn't care as long as I was quiet about it. Once I got to college, I was an English Literature major and even though I was reading so much for class, this was actually the time that I read more for fun than I ever had because I needed some agency in my reading choices and to escape from some of the assigned stuff sometimes. 

Now my main source of reading is audiobooks, which seems like the only way I can squeeze them in with grad school, work, and two young children. I am proud of the 25 books I read last year even though it is far less than the hundred plus I used to do. 

My favorite genres are non-fiction, particularly memoirs, and historical fiction, although I am very particular about the time periods of the historical fiction. Some of my favorite books I read last year were "Finding Me" by Viola Davis, "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah, "I'm Glad My Mom Died" by Jennette McCurdy, "Daisy Jones and the Six" by Taylor Jenkins-Reid, and "Firekeepers' Daughter" by Angeline Boulley. 

The article we read about appeal factors really stood out to me this week--the appeal factors that are really important to me when selecting a book are timeframe, relationships, mood, and authenticity. But it was also interesting to think about what appeal factors are not important to me at all, and how this will completely vary for each person I perform readers' advisory for. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Liz! I was excited to see that there is also another nonfiction fan in the class! I really enjoy nonfiction, and like you, I'm a fan of memoirs and biographies. The book you mentioned, "I'm Glad My Mom Died" has passed by my desk at work several times and each time has caught my eye (probably the "throw-back" cover, right?). I'll have to check that one out. I also like what you said about appeal factors. The reading to which you referred was very helpful and brought to light components of reading preferences that I never would have thought of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz! I had a very similar experience with reading growing up, it just sounds like you and I were on opposite schedules - instead of staying up late, I remember waking up hours ahead of school to get as much reading in as I could. I'm excited to see a nonfiction lover in this class, I am looking forward to reading your perspective! I will have to check out a few of your favorites, nonfiction and historical fiction have been genres I have been wanting to dive into, but I haven't known where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're still a star reader! Great reading profile! It's hard to fit reading in with kids - I also rely on a lot of audiobooks!

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Prompt Response

  One of the best ways that my library markets our fiction collection is through displays and lists. Our library uses Bibliocommons, and the...