Thursday, March 28, 2024

Week 12 Prompt

Author: Jennette McCurdy

Title: I'm Glad My Mom Died

Publication Date:August 9, 2022

Number of Pages: 320

Geographic Setting: California

Time Period: Late 1990s to Present

Subject Headings: Television actors and actresses--United States--Biography, Child Actors--Biography, Singers--United States--Biography, Mothers and Daughters--United States--Biography, Mothers--Death, Eating Disorders, Addicts, Biographies

Type: Memoir

Series Notes: N/A

Book Summary: A memoir by former Nickelodeon star Jennette McCurdy, this is an honest, heartbreaking, and yet sometimes almost funny account of Jennette's experience living with an abusive, narcissistic mother who took advantage of her fame up until her death, after which McCurdy spiraled into addiction, eating disorders and toxic relationships. This book is for anyone who enjoys reading about resiliency and people overcoming shame and trauma to reclaim their lives. Readers do not need to be familiar with McCurdy's work to root for her. 

1-3 Annotation: Jennette McCurdy's mother always wanted to be famous. When she couldn't achieve her dreams, she turned to her daughter to make her a star instead, and Jennette, wanting to do anything to make her mother happy, went along with her mom's plans. When fame finally comes, her mother is thrilled; meanwhile, Jennette spirals into anxiety, shame and eating disorders. When her mother dies of cancer, things get even worse, and Jennette begins to struggle with addiction and toxic relationships. It is only after quitting acting and finding therapy that Jennette is able to heal and discover who she really is without her mother. 

Similar Works: Mommie Dearest by Christina Crawford, The Woman in Me by Britney Spears, Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner

8 comments:

  1. This was one of my favorite reads when it came out (and it was really popular at my library, too). I think it's a particularly timely read now with the "Quiet on Set" documentary out, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I read this right when it came out, but now that the documentary is out I kinda want to re-read!

      Delete
  2. I don't read a lot of non-fiction but I did read this one and I enjoyed it! I felt so bad for her reading this which seems to be the norm once I hear everything that has happened to these child actors/actresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do read a lot of non-fiction, and this was still a five star read for me. But I also think it says a lot about it that someone who doesn't read a lot of non-fiction also enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. I listened to the audiobook last year and it was so good, but difficult to listen to. Jennette narrates it which made my experience so much better. I'd love to read this again now with the Quiet on the Set documentary out. Have you watched it yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to it as well and agree, I love it when authors narrate their own works. I have not seen Quiet on the Set yet. I heard there are more episodes coming out so I'm waiting until it's all out before doing a free trial to watch it!

      Delete
  4. I keep seeing this book everywhere! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz,

    I haven't read this one yet, but we had requests for it on release day. One person called and said she wanted a book but didn't want to say the title...how exactly are we supposed to know if we have a book if you won't tell us what book? :D

    This is one I intend to read, I just have never gotten around to it. Based on the overwhelming positive comments, I will be prioritizing it!

    I do want to quibble with one of your subject heading choices. Rather than "Addicts", you might want to use "Drug addiction". Not only does it remove some of the judgment, but it's also more specific as to what type of addiction, since it's possible to be addicted to literally anything.

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Prompt Response

  One of the best ways that my library markets our fiction collection is through displays and lists. Our library uses Bibliocommons, and the...